Friday 20 July 2012

Ambush at Bonaventure Crossing,.. Tomorrows War Battle Report

So, One of the games I mentioned I liked to play is anything from Ambush Alley Games, one of their games I like is called Tomorrows War. Its a futuristic open ended rules set which you can create your own near future war craft. So I got some new 15mm vehicles in from Ground Zero Games and I put them together, and put a coat of primer on them. At that point, I was so so excited on playing a game I decided to play a solo game of Tomorrows War. This was my first go at playing with vehicles in this system, and I learned a very valuable lesson in the first game I played. Let me set the scene...

  A small recon force was moving up through a small village in enemy territory. The lead element a medium tank moving along the city streets when an ambush was sprung. A road side bomb was triggered, and the blast ripped through its under armor, killing most of the crew.
 
 The rear elements of the recon force looked ahead in shock and horror and try to mount a rescue. Lead Tank struck by a road side bomb.
 
 The armored APC, just down the road moves up to attempt to rescue the survivors. Meanwhile, the insurgents (which to my downfall, I declared were on the roof of the building.) The APC moves up, and gets attacked by the Insurgents. As it rounds the corner of the building, it spots the near by enemy troops preparing to fire. The Apc reacts first and manages to mow down the entire group, save 1. Who runs away behind a near by building.
 
 But as the APC tries to engage the group on the building, they are to slow, allowing the group on top of the building to fire its shoulder mounted RPG. A direct hit, blowing the heavy mounted pules weapon clear off from the turret.
 
At this point, a small fire team jumps out of the APC to engage the near by insurgents, Just as they jump out, anothe RPG rocks the APC, and knocks it out. Crew and the remaining passengers (8 more) bail out. It is now start of turn 3, I had 6 turns to rescue people out of the tank. Its not looking good at this point. As the teams pull their men out of the wreckage, they find out just how bad things are. Save the first team which jumped out of the APC just prior to the second RPG attack, there are 3 heavily wounded, 3 killed, and 2 lightly wounded. This includes the 3 crew members.
 The commander knowing full well that it was a lost cause to try and save who ever was left in the burning tank, decides to call a full retreat, leaving the burning wreckage behind, they disengage from the battle. So, what did I learn? Troops with anti tank weapons in higher level of buildings are deadly..

The next time I play this game, A) I will engage the troops at heights first, B) Not place them on the roof tops in the first place. At the start of the 3 turn the score was. 11-0 for the Insurgents. Either way it was a fun game, and I will try this again when I get some more stuff painted.

No comments:

Post a Comment